Friday, March 13, 2009

Forever in our Hearts...

For the past 2 years I have enjoyed all of the fun posts of our growing family, but unfortunately there comes a time when there's sad news to write about...
Last Monday morning (3/2) I received a call on my cell from a (207) area code. I immediately knew it was coming from Maine & shivers went down my spine. It was John's stepmother calling to tell us that his grandmother had passed away. News like that is never good to hear; however, it was, in a way, bitter-sweet. She was 88 years old & in good health...she out-lived 3 husbands, as well as her only child (John's dad). Although we are sad that she's no longer here with us, we know that she's so happy & she's where she wants to be now... which is a very peaceful thought! John, along with Dave & Angela flew up to Maine this past Saturday morning for the funeral.

Forever in our Hearts... Part 2...

So this part of the update is even harder for me... as my eyes are already filling up with tears! :( Geezzz.... sometimes I wish I didn't have such a bleeding heart! ;) As I sit here writing this, I realize it was 7 days ago, almost to the minute that I had to rush our sweet Tuker Jane to a 24-hour Emergency Animal Hospital... yeah... not good news guys! :(
To attempt to make a long story shorter, Tuker had been losing weight since probably the end of January. The past 2 Monday's we'd had apts with the vet to run numerous tests, adjust her diet, etc. Needless to say, I don't think our vet did us any favors. Tuker collapsed last Friday night on her way to bed & neither John, nor I, nor "cookies" could get her to lift her head. Once I got her to the hospital, she went downhill very quickly. The doctor & nurses were really wonderful & let me stay back with her the whole time... which quite honestly I still cannot believe I could do, but I really think I was in shock, and I just didn't want her to be by herself. (by the way, I was there by myself so John could sleep & catch a 6am flight to Maine) We still don't really know what happened, the Doctor most likely thinks her spleen ruptured & she blead out, or he said it could have been cancer, but at this point it's all speculation.
She was 10 1/2... so not young... but not old... she should have still been with us at least another 2 - 4 years. But as hard as it is to understand, I guess it was her time.
Neither John nor I thought we would ever be this sad, or miss a dog this much... after all she was just a dog... right?!?! But why do I feel like I lost a child?!?! She's been with us for a decade & for some of the best parts of our life together... we got her in Valdosta in our early college years (fun times)... we graduated... got our 1st house... got married... got our 2nd house... had our 1st child... and we will never forget the 2 litters of beautiful babies that she made (thank goodness we still know 3 of them!) She was part of our family & THE BEST dog we have ever known & she will most definitely be missed... every day! WE LOVE YOU TUKER!
So... I hope I didn't make everyone cry... go run & give your sweet puppies all the love & kisses in the world! They are our best friends!!!
We're still sad, but we're getting used to a "new" daily routine. We talk about her often... especially when you have a 19 month old that says "Tuker" every time he sees a black dog! ;) I'm still working on not tearing up when that happens! I know it's only a matter of time before I'll be posting an update with a new addition to the family (a dog that is...) ... but not too soon! ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too late, Corrie. You made me cry! So sorry for both your losses. Please give John my sympathies and to you all for the loss of Tucker. We have a sweet Westie now (named Zoe) and I don't know what we will do whenever something happens to her. I love reading your blogs and keeping up with your precious family. Lots of love to you all.
Cathy (Becky's mom)

The Lichtenberg's said...

Oh my goodness, that was the saddest blog I have ever read...We are so sorry to hear about both of your losses, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you guys and Caleb because I know he is missing his sweet puppy!

Grant and Sarah Schmeelk said...

So yes....you got me again...crying and I have Addie right here with me. She was such a wonderful doggie and loved by many. She did make some beauiful babies and was the best trained dog I have ever ever met. She is missed.....! It was odd not seeing her bed the other night and also dropping something and not having sweet Tuck come lick it up. Love you guys!!!

Amanda and Tyler Shelley said...

I'm sure this post was so hard to write! I was crying. Plus, i've even had a few friends who commented on how sad your post was. I am so sorry for your losses. I couldn't imagine losing my dog. I would be torn up for a while. My thoughts have been with you guys.