Monday, December 20, 2010

Tis the Season... for the "FUNK" that is!

Boo... The only part of parenthood I don't enjoy is when little kiddos get sick!... Rewind to December 4th... a memorable day not only because it's my dad's birthday, but it was the first day that I ever had to take Caleb to an "after hours" doctor's visit. I'm very thankful that we made it 3+ years without having to make a weekend visit, but it's still never fun. Here's the story...
Caleb was hit with a high fever (mid 102's) Saturday morning. After many questions & remembering some of his actions, I got the hunch that he had an ear infection. Rather than make him suffer til Monday morning, I took him to a Northside Hospital Urgent Care doctor's office in Cumming. We waited about 2 hours, but finally got confirmation that he did have an ear infection. The Dr. gave us the script for antibiotics at 6:42pm and we literally grabbed 2 stickers and a sucker and raced a mile down the road to Publix before the pharmacy closed at 7pm. I then quickly picked him up a happy meal (so he could get a toy for being so good at the Dr), and made it home where my mom was with Coleman. - John had already left for a friend's Christmas party - where I was about to join him.
After visiting with friends, I finally dragged my intoxicated husband (haha) out of the party & we came home at midnight to find poor Caleb burning up in my mom's lap on the couch. He was HOT...hotter than I'd ever felt him (mid 103's)! I freaked out & immediately gave him motrin & threw him in the bathtub to break the fever. As I was pouring water on his back, I noticed a crazy red rash all over his body... freak out again! So while he played in the tub for a good 30 mins, I was googling fever & rash on my laptop... some not so fun stuff to read, so I think I paniced more & just decided to call our ped office's after hours nurse line. After talking to a children's hospital nurse for at least 20 minutes at 1:00 in the morning, they decided he most likely had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. So first thing the next morning I called the Dr and they switched his meds. Luckily Caleb's fever had faded & he was already feeling better.
So now fast forward to this past Thursday... Caleb spikes a fever again! (he got off the meds on Tuesday). I thought there was no way he had another ear infection, but didn't know what it was. So Friday morning I took him to his Doctor where he confirmed Caleb now had strep throat (first time ever)...and probably thinks he had it all along! Boo!
We are all hoping he hasn't spread it to any of us (especially baby Coleman)... and are keeping our fingers crossed & saying prayers that we have a healthy Christmas! On a side note... me, John and Caleb all got our flu shots, so hopefully we don't have to worry about that this year!!!
Cheers!~

No comments: